Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Exotic

A person clearly from another place showed up to dance with us last night.
"Private lessons back home in NM for 1.5 yrs. and competing in national pro-am competitions for 1.5yr. (Phoenix & Las Vegas) at the advanced Bronze and pre-Silver level in American Rhythm (all 9), waltz and tango."
I wondered if she could fit into our social American tango dance class, but I don't turn down people who want to dance.
Essentially, she didn't fit in, but enjoyed her time, dancing with me unless I was busy with the other students, practicing her routine, and sometimes doing turns from the waltz in the middle of the room.
For me and for the class, it was good to see how someone like that will practice - very poised with the pronounced leftward lean, the close body contact. I think she needs to be able to move backward better, but I did not provide any corrections because I don't know what her teacher is striving for.

No comments: