Sunday, March 4, 2012

Party Mix

At Arthur Murray, students have to share studio space in private lessons, so the music can't take over the whole room. And in group lessons, they keep the emphasis on the dance, letting the music be secondary. In times past, no lyrics at all were allowed.

Then, they had a special Party Mix of tunes, the ones that were more exciting. I do love the strong music for parties to let students forget themselves as the evening goes along.

I have another goal for my "Party" genre. I'll mix it up with music that is more difficult - slightly too fast or slow for the style otherwise indicated by lyrics, melody, or choice of instruments. Sometimes the musicians alter the beat slightly, sliding notes along. This is for later in the evening.
Great luck last night with my party mix: by 9:30 everyone there was warmed up and ready to play with the music themselves.

No comments: