Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Burn the Floor

There was a "Burn the Floor" TV special some ten years ago that I enjoyed. Several of the Canadian pros shone in the swing/jive section.
While I was on break from the blog, I went to see the show in Boston and was bored. I wondered whether it was just me having seen so much more of our dances as entertainment lately.
Now in New York, the show is getting terrible reviews.
Mary French used to deplore what they were doing to the Latin.
The NY Times guy, Alastair Macaulay, says, "Dancers at pro levels have been larding so much dazzle onto the rumba, in particular, that there's no real rumba left in it."
He concludes with, "What makes me wretched is that these stunts, acrobatics, point-scoring and flashy displays of sexual availability are what matter. Musicality, phrasing, intimacy, and actual sensuousness are what don't."
The Australian director says ballroom now has "street cred".

No comments: