Friday, July 26, 2013

Twist that Ballroom Show

We were among the loudest in the crowd last night at Cape Playhouse, Dennis. Kudos to Louis Van Amstel for a show with a lot of variety. Adding in American Idol singers broke up what can be "too much dancing", to quote my 6 year old self. SYTYCD Contemporary and Hip Hop dancers changed the feeling on the small stage for a bit, too.
Where was Legacy? - no explanation given. Instead, Tristan McManus and Anna Trebunskaya were joined by Ashley Costa who was in town on vacation, and had to have her shoes fed-exed. Pro teacher on DWTS, she was saddled with Buzz Aldrin. She also did the best commentary on some show I watched. I expect they invited her to add star quality.
Allan Genkin was one I now realize I had seen on TV, the winner of a "Ballroom Battle", presented as part of DWTS, a ringer who showed up at Cheryl's studio without a partner and blew everyone else away. His kicks and flicks were incredible. Super exciting Jive.
Costumes by Randall Designs in LA. They do DWTS and were a real feature on the short-lived series "Ballroom Bootcamp", a half hour show a few years back. Not unbearable sexy, instead, they were flattering, an improvement on the last Ballroom stage show I saw, the Australian version of Burn the Floor.
I thought the show would be in the building that houses Cape Cinema, the one with the Rockwell Kent ceiling, but instead it was a more typical summer stock theater - uncomfortable seats, lots of old wood framing. My seat had limited visibility, but I was able to switch at intermission.  Now, I miss Falmouth Playhouse again, though it burned down in 1994 - was burned, they say, for iunsurance.

No comments: