Sunday, April 12, 2015

Teaching Truth

On our way to the dance last night, my friend the librarian said, "You can't give people information until they need it." Certainly I've heard that before, but, as is contained in the statement, you can hear things at one time and they won't resonate.
I immediately thought of my lovely wedding couple who chose a song at 40 measures per minute- Chet Baker, "Let's Get Lost". I wasn't sure of how to start!
He was expressing anxiety, so I put on a super slow One-step, Aaron Neville's "Tell It Like It Is." for dance hold without worrying about what your feet are doing. We couldn't stay there too long - after 15 minutes, he started worrying again! But he could walk without stepping on her feet.
Time to get into a Foxtrot. He didn't need any more information about One-step.
"Let's Get Lost" has a fairly soft bass line and the singer plays with the beat more than most dancers would like. I suggested some classic Foxtrots for practicing. On the wedding day, they have a band that can slow it down and give it more bass.
That's as far as we got. She is hoping for a Fred and Ginger feel to their dance. They don't need any more steps yet. Two basic traveling steps. Get comfortable! See you May 2.

No comments: