Saturday, March 13, 2010

Woods Hole Play

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten was the name of this month's offering. I thought I was just going out to support local theater, but found it was directed by a young man who danced with me when he was in high school, Alex Colacchio. Then, "Geek Dancing" was one of the skits, a paean to being able to stand up and enjoy yourself.

Here's a bit Robert Fulgham wrote about dancing at a village wedding on the Greek island of Crete:
The fancy footwork confused me. "Don't make a fool of yourself," I thought. "Just watch."
Reading my mind, an older woman dropped out of the dance, sat down beside me, and said, "If you join the dancing, you will feel foolish. If you do not, you will also feel foolish. So, why not dance?"
And, she said she had a secret for me. She whispered, "If you do not dance, we will know you are a fool. But if you dance, we will think well of you for trying."

No comments: