Sunday, October 3, 2010

Cuban Revolution Restaurant and Bar

The Providence venue was featuring my son's percussion teacher, the Dominican Jesus Andujar and his band, and I had the first Saturday of the month off, so I packed us up for a visit to the always fascinating granddaughter and her parents. After dinner, we went to 60 Valley Street with printed directions - do not visit Providence without a map and or directions, certainly not with a GPS.
We found the converted warehouse space with the band in full swing (not 2 hours late as some Latin bands are). Terrific keyboard, a drummer in addition to Jesus with five congas, and a flautist who took up shakere, guiro and clave at times. They riffed on "Toma Chocolate" before the break. Afterwards, Herbie Hancock's "Watermelon Man" slid briefly into "On Broadway" for fun.
The food was cheap and varied though a bit dull in the spice department, as our son had said. We shared a sandwich in order to keep the alcohol under control, and to try it out. I got a flan to go because I felt sorry for the waiter - too quiet for a Saturday night. Their downtown location gets the crowds.
Joe pointed out to me that there were three attractive women sitting alone, which is unusual. He still surprises me when he notices stuff like that - typical guy, but mostly they wouldn't tell their wives.

No comments: