Saturday, January 14, 2012

New Bedford Art Works

A lovely spot, ArtWorks, 384 Acushnet Street, very similar to the Falmouth Artists Guild. I bet they get grants since New Bedford is a depressed area, and they do good work, offering classes and this week, a Salsa evening with percussion workshop.
Jesus Andujar taught drums at the Conservatory for a while, and had a great band for his Grupo Sazon at the Cuban Revolution bar and restaurant in Providence last spring. We're facebook friends, so I see his gigs and have been trying to get back to one with a dance floor.
In a percussion workshop, I joined ladies on drums given simple rhythms. Jesus gave me a tambourine. I should have brought maracas.
We had the wine left over from the printmakers opening there that afternoon. I met a Falmouth artist and her husband, friends with some of my students.
A cursory Salsa lesson for the nice kid and a couple of ladies.
Then we had to wait while the other musicians found their way - stuck in Boston traffic etc. I've heard this before with Latino bands. They were maybe a bit frazzled when they arrive -, at least their music sounded frazzled.
I danced with a nice young man who tended to ignore the beat. I wished the song were shorter. A relief to go back to Joe.
The musicians started to hit their stride at about 10:00. Then they took a break, and we left for the 45 minute drive home.
Jesus was jamming last night with a group called Santa Mamba doing a rare acoustic set opening for another group at The Spot Undergound in Providence. I wonder how that was - a college crowd?

No comments: