Thursday, January 12, 2012

Private dance lessons

A private lesson is a way to find greater understanding of the body's potential. People pay for private lessons routinely in golf and tennis, for personal trainers and for physical therapists, all coaches in handling the body. In golf and tennis you get to win. Personal trainers keep you healthy. Physical therapists get you back to health.
In ballroom dancing, unless you indulge in competition, all you win is a good feeling. Perhaps you demonstrate a dedication to the art.
Social dancers on Cape taking group lessons, usually organized around dance steps, can't create a smooth dance style because each person's misunderstanding is not the same as that of the group.
As a teacher, I am happy some students have chosen to go with a series of private lessons, honing the steps they have and practicing them.
As a student, I do my homework to discover my understanding of the dances and then bring the action in for critique.
Now if only I were a Real Salesman, I'd convince people to spend money on privates, but I was raised to step back at the mention of money. Sales lessons at the chain studios include finding out how much money people have to spend - find out what kind of car they drive or where they went to school. BU grad with a BMW? Great!

No comments: