Sunday, March 16, 2014

Cataumet Center Artist Circle

On the email list for the Cataumet Center, I finally found myself going to the Artist's Circle potluck and presentations.
Friday, I went to Providence to visit the little family. We worked on origami birds tied to birch branches -  the set for an a&b modern dance piece April 4 and 5. I got the material for the dancers' skirts I'll be cutting  from a Butterick pattern I have had for 30 years, a diagonal design. Then I took my son to an excellent production of Macbeth.
Looking for entertainment with Joe out of town, I pulled myself together and made scones, hoping to see Marcia Mellor, fellow Flamenco lover and ballroom dancer, who started the circle 24 years ago. Her dance partner is in the hospital, so she was also free on this Saturday night. Get well soon, Roy!
Painters and poets, a sculptor, and woodworkers stood up in front of our little group. The audience had great questions, a real conversation.
When they asked if anyone was teaching, I did speak up, "Hey, join us at the dance center just around the corner!"
Marcia went last with two poems and related painting. Her poem, "Eat the Apple" had analogies in the image she passed around based on the myth of Sekhmet, with overtones of Eve.

No comments: