Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Unexpected Waltz by Kim Wright

I got an advance copy from my librarian sister-in-law, and it's now published.
Nice story, continuing characters from another novel, I saw at the website.
Somehow I thought a ballroom dance themed novel would be a first try from someone in love with the activity, but I think she just did her research, taking classes in order to weave a story around plausible plot lines involving young Russian dance teachers and middle-aged women.
For the newly widowed rich protagonist, dance is better than sex, and she does not fall into a relationship with a younger man. The "studio whale" (a woman who keeps the studio afloat with all her private lessons and competition fees) does.
I learned Kim Wright's favorite dance songs: Chris Issak's "Wicked Game" for Rumba and "You Give Love a Bad Name" Bon Jovi's Tango.
I liked the phrase, "Optimal Frustration", a state where you work through difficulties with vigor.
I liked how she congratulated the men who dance even if they are no good at it.
Descriptions of heels, thousand dollar dresses and make-up did not make me want to do competition.
Three new dance quotes:
Neitzsche said, "I would only believe in a God that knows how to dance."
Confucius said, "Never give a sword to a man who can't dance."
And Groucho Marx, "Wives are people who feel they don't dance enough."
That last from the golden age of partnered dancing.

A side plot with a Hospice patient was nicely written as well. A discussion of CTD, an acronym for a doctor's phrase, Circling The Drain, "funny, cruel and accurate. Because I've always imagined our lives to be funnel shaped. They grow narrow as we age and we all begin to swirl faster and faster."


No comments: