Wednesday, May 14, 2008

DWTS semi-final

Part of my blue Monday involved forgetting to record DWTS, so I watched it on the little computer screen yesterday. It doesn't come up until the afternoon, so I voted without watching, usually a no-no, but this time I was sure who I wanted to see again.
The judges must have agreed. For the results show, we saw again Kristi's tango, though it was hectic; Len was right. That was Mark Ballas' fault, wanting to show off her fast footwork. My husband, taking a rare moment off from sports, said, "It's not fair to call her an amateur."
But how else is a woman going to win unless she is an Olympic gold figure skater? Even with that, has Kristi gotten more than one 30?
Anyway, I'm mulling over the reason the women can't win on that show. The New Yorker article cited expectations. Women are expected to know how to dance. Men are accepted for whatever they can do.
Some have suggested the women get compared to the professional women, which certainly doesn't seem fair, and didn't happen to Marissa. But neither was Marissa going to win.
Then there's the other thing my husband said, "Edyta should win. She's been on every show." (I think Edyta just loves the TV spotlight.) People vote for their favorite pros, who are Cheryl and Julianne, not Louis or Maks. Tony is the favorite male pro, so there's another reason for Marissa to stay as long as she did.
It's been a good long ride, and people are taking more about it than ever.

No comments: