Friday, May 2, 2008

Teen Hangups

Sitting in the high school library waiting for a student who decided not to be tutored ("I'll be fine!"), I picked up a book called WHAT I LEARNED FROM JUDY BLUME.
I read my way through my teen years before Judy Blume. I missed what these young women went through: obsessed with their image, worried about boys, going through their parents' divorce. I ignored sex and the cruelties of groups.
Now, working with the 5th Grade (by June, almost 6th), I see them worrying about these things. Who you dance with is a metaphor for who your partner might turn out to be.
If we can keep it abstract, the partnering can get closer to its ideal.
I have the DWTS tape of the girl who is taller at age 12 than her extremely competant partner, and hope it helps.
My adults can have the same hangups, not able to enjoy each partner for their good qualities because they aren't The Partner.

No comments: