Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Motown Week DWTS

Motown is much better than Rock Week, all 80s Rock, like in "School of Rock", an outlet for frustration. The Motown acts joining the show live was great - give them some of the cash this show generates. Human Nature, the white boy Motown knock-off, did very well, too, though I'm not sure why we need a white boy group doing Motown. What we need is African/American pro dancers, but since half of the pros are from Eastern Europe, I guess we have to get diversity where we can find it.
My favorite moments: Jaleel's dance, the Dance-off, Maria's dress of liquid silver.
I also watched the 20/20 special, "Backstage with DWTS". I loved seeing the costume workshops - a small one downtown for the men, a huge space for the women. Then they gave us the vital statistics - weight loss - Kirstie Alley, 30 pounds, has a supplement that is selling very well. She said Maks was "brutal".
Tom called him a "charm school drop-out" for the quip he made, "Our dance could be worse - if you had an ugly partner." It's true. His partner stood up for him, saying 85% of rehearsal time was positive, but that didn't make it into the package aired before the performance.
The opening number for the show was Gladys Knight, and it was cute. I hated Tristan's white piping on the purple suit. Ill advised. She should stay "just a little bit longer."
Maria and Derek were overscored, I thought. She strikes me as just a bit dull.
Roshon and Chelsie had a hard task: make skinny kid look sexy enough for Rumba, and their scores reflected that.
Donald Driver is another football player who does very well. I agree with Len that he could handle more content.
Mark and Katherine's dance didn't grab me either. Usually I love her. Maybe it was the music, unsuited to Samba. Or Mark's choreography. Or his over-dancing.
William and Cheryl got down on the floor together, but I didn't see the raunchy Len saw.
Jaleel was sharp and quick, right on top of the dance. He did Cha cha last week for the duel, Cha cha for the dance and Cha cha for the Dance-Off, so he was immersed in his style. I feel like she finally brought out the actor in him. Act like you're a ballroom dancer.

No comments: