Thursday, May 27, 2010

STUFF: Compulsive hoarding by Randy Frost and Gail Steketee

Hoarding is not a new phenomenon, but only now being studied. I thought my mother was deprived because of her Depression childhood, and modern consumerism made her want more, but her behavior corresponds to many other people with rooms full of stuff, 5% of the population.
She has the heightened appreciation of the world, and that has been good for us, her children.
She gets stuff not for materialist ends - her collections are not for status, but to save the unappreciated.
The third floor of the house was great for that, until the stairs got to be too much.
She gave up and let me clean it out. Yay! Progress!
Visiting her means I don't want any more stuff myself.
I will collect only dance steps.

No comments: