Friday, March 15, 2013

POLKA

After all these years of not knowing Polka, I finally broke down and took a lesson.
A wedding couple showed up with a cute song from the movie Juno, "All I Want is You", which to my ear, is a polka. When I said that, I found out her parents are Polish from the old country, so I felt it would be only right to have them prepare a Polka.
I had my lesson with Ron Gursky who said, "You're taking me back in time here!"
Not as hard as I thought. The triple steps are in my repertoire. Adding a hop was hard at first, until I thought of it as a skip. Most people don't even bother with the hop. Mary French certainly didn't. And the young man probably won't either, even for her. He got the triple step and then we were able to apply it to Swing, a nice trick.
Ron said the right turns are easy, and sure enough, my night school couple, Polish as well, did right turns beautifully. Then, their Waltz worked better after warming up with Polka.
I bet my Albanians are going to enjoy it as well.

No comments: