Saturday, March 30, 2013

Florida continued

I'm only 200 entries into editing the blog to get it put in a bound book of some kind. Kind of expensive for just one, vanity press and all, but I am a great fan of books. Sometimes bloggers' books sell, but this one is not sensational - pretty quiet.
So, our next nights on the east coast of Florida dance scene. Tuesday was a movie "Life of Pi" definitely Oscar material since it was the best 3D movie I've seen.
Wednesday was Vero Beach, an hour north to see where the best teachers in the area for salsa have their studio. Joe and Sherri run 14th Ave Swingsation with verve, style, energy, great music and Latin percussion if the spirit moves you, and I do love Latin percussion - clave, maracas, bongos, guiro.
Thursday was Solid Gold at the St Lucie Civic building, a crowded floor of non-dancers, but we had enough room, and Joe got some variety in partners since he knows women who don't usually bring their husbands. Gus and Blake were there with Kathy and whats-her-name. We sat with Dan and Linda, newbies to the dance scene and Florida, very friendly.
Fridays are best at Save the First Dance where an amateur couple run the place for the love of it, not to sell private lessons and take ladies to competitions and buy an orange Corvette like the fellow in Rio who has never said hello to me and tolerates Joe as single male dancers.
The USA Dance people go to STFD, so when I contacted her by email, Jen Rose offered to take me around to meet the board members. George and Judy have a fabulous style, and he won the Foxtrot, if you count how many people he passed when he danced with me or his wife.The owner announced me as a visiting USA Dance member from Massachusetts, giving me the introduction to meet people. Tom Newton who teaches on the Vineyard summers has a good solid feel for the music.
 Marc Martin teaches there now, loves to show off and will be doing showcases with all the single ladies in a couple of weeks. I love his Hustle best - an unforgettable experience, I told him.
Song ideas - a new Waltz line dance - I even got teaching material.

No comments: