Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Back Home from Florida Spring 2013

April 2 on Cape Cod is pretty chilly.
My last night of dancing was the best.
We went back to Plaza Ballroom in Palm Beach and there were too many men - for a change.
I still had to make Joe introduce me to the men he knows because they are reluctant ask a married woman to dance even if her husband is happily dancing with the other ladies. He has no such compunctions, but the one tall fellow confessed to me when he asked me to dance after I had asked him. I will ask tall ones, figuring they might like to stretch their legs a bit for a change.
The previous Saturday at Plaza, my first night in Florida, there were too many women. Joe suggested I ask a very good tall dancer not realizing what the young man was paid to dance with two women for the evening. He said he could only dance with me once. I didn't offer him anything, and believe that was proper, though he was worth it, trained by Suzanne Hamby when he first arrived from Haiti, a gentle soft spoken fellow.
Another dancer Joe knows gets $150 a night to dance with a woman. He was short, unsmiling, somewhat stiff, not anyone I wanted to dance with.
Sunday was the American pastime, Eating Out. Seafood overlooking the Indian River.
Monday very early, I took the train back to my bargain flight at Ft. Lauderdale - $10 for an hour and a half while a bus to Boston is $40. A plane to West Palm was $100 more, probably because Ft Lauderdale is under construction with ripped up floors and an hour's wait to get in the air. Who needs to sit on the runway with crying children for an extra hour?

No comments: