Saturday, February 2, 2008

Dance filmed

As I edit the yearly Cape Cod dancing show for local access TV, I try not to interfere with our view of the dancers, especially the showcases.
Editors go wild so much, probably because of the influence of MTV, that I don't even comment anymore when they cut up and down and slow or speed up the film, but it does interfere with my enjoyment.
It seems the new movie, "How She Move", does a nice job allowing Step dancers to express emotions too powerful for words. Step dancing, according to David Denby in the New Yorker this week, is "an assertive style of talking through the body - stomping with boots, slapping one's chest, thighs, and legs, whirling and spinning. It's not social dancing; it's a way of saying, 'This is who I am. This is what I can do.'"
One of my fifth graders is from Jamaica where he had step dance groups.

No comments: