Sunday, November 3, 2013

Beginners Welcome!

Remembering my great turn out last year for the November First Saturday, I booked the St Barnabas Parish Hall again. It's a bigger floor, and we miss it if we are at the Conservatory all the time.
I was right - second biggest group ever, only topped by last year, and we welcomed lots of beginners, newbies who cheerfully tried everything. The mood is more excited when new people arrive, nervous but happy that they finally made it.
"We've been trying to get here for years," said a couple who had 6 lessons as part of Bourne Dancing With the Stars. "The kids have a sleepover with their aunt and uncle."
Some couples, new to me, were very competant. A young woman who competes dislikes Tony Dovolani. He must be fierce on the competition floor - how else would you win International Rhythm on the Ohio Star Ball?
My new DJ policy is to print up a playlist and bring it along, so if someone asks for a Samba, I can say, "Can you wait for 3 songs, or shall I skip the next Foxtrot, Cha cha and Rumba?"

No comments: