Sunday, April 13, 2008

Dunya

Yesterday was a Cape Cod Workshop in Dance Meditation, led by Woods Hole native, Dunya Diane (Hulburt) McPherson, who has given her life to dance and just published her memoir, SKIN OF GLASS.
Last time I took her class, we worked on what the body feels like from the inside, eyes closed for much of the time. The skill helps to reproduce the body lines we want to use in my type of dance.
Yesterday, she was more specific. We imagined a line to separate the two sides of the body and chose the less dominant one to be in the light and other in shadow as we moved. I know from my work with Network Chiropractic that the left side gets ignored, even though it is controlled by the right side of the brain, which gets more control in my decision making.
Then we divided the body front and back and took the back first, which is always fun.
"The front is more familiar," said Dunya as we switched.
The organs got attention, starting with viscera, moving up through the stomach, noticing the heart and lungs, to the base of the tongue.
We danced and then wrote and then talked, so I heard that the movement through the torso corresponds to the shakras that everyone seems to be talking about.
My knee is very happy with the work I did. I also heard that the point of the intermittent pain is a pressure point. Perhaps acupunture would be helpful.

No comments: