Saturday, April 26, 2008

SKIN OF GLASS

I just finished Dunya's book, subtitled, FINDING SPIRIT IN THE FLESH. It will be shelved in the spiritual memoir section, if the bookstore has such a thing, women's literature. I read slowly because it was very poetic. An incident here or there would provide an anchor for the imagination, especially when 'here' was a dance class with Klara Koenig or another piece of Falmouth.
She began her dancing with the mirror and has moved away from it into an awareness of self deep in her bones and organs.
I wonder if her muscles still follow paths from the study of movement she began with. Does this help make her the most interesting person in the room to look at when we are in workshop?
Often, I take dance classes to be able to move with the teacher, following in a formation while I have inspiration before my eyes. The teacher's choice of music and understanding of how to move in harmony allows me to connect in my own way with the world inside and outside myself.
As a Sufi, Dunya connects to the Divine, the Beloved, Allah, or God.

1 comment:

Dunya said...

Thank you, Ellen. It is always a pleasure to move with you when I'm on the Cape.

And I wonder if our bodies ever forget what we 'teach them' or what they learn without our minds' knowing? Are they, like our minds, sporadic in their recall, or are they specific and ubiquitous? Of course, I doubt there is one right answer, but these are good questions for neuroscientists to bat away at. Meanwhile, I like to spend time delving into the process experientially and writing about this underworld we all inhabit.

Dunya, author of Skin of Glass