Saturday, April 5, 2008

Obbini Tumbao

So we actually went to Cambridge for a show at the Regattabar at the Charles Hotel where Henrietta's Table is fun for polenta cake smothered with mushrooms and caramelized onions.
The 9 piece band had keyboardist, baby bassist(Trinidad), drummer(Venezualan), conga, bongos, 2 trombones, clave/guiro by the Berklee teacher, and a singer from Venezuela. Great sound, and they love dancers.
The Regattabar doesn't love dancers, but few venues do. They gave us a small floor (six salsa couples) with a great view as long as you're not afraid of heights. I'm not, so I liked looking out the floor to ceiling windows overlooking the rainy street from the second floor. We weren't in front of the band. To watch the dancers from my seat, I turned my head since it was too crowded to turn my chair. Dancers were minor anyway.
The musicians' break was filled with a dynamic Costa Rican teacher from Hips on Fire. 50 people crowded behind him in a space that included the dance floor, two little girls in front. I picked up a tip for Bachata.

No comments: