Thursday, October 3, 2013

My luck

Several chances have come my way - not the lottery, though it seemed like I might be getting lucky numbers, and I played, but did not win.
Luck and persistence got me a new place to teach Dance & Stretch - the lovely new Falmouth Historical Society function room. No competition for 4 PM weekdays, AC in the summer!
I can count my luck in striped bass after an encounter with a unique fisherman - he was on a black jet ski and had found an exciting school of menhaden, "boiling", as they schooled along en masse with bluefish and striped bass following them.
Or was my luck in finally getting a flat calm day to go out on the boat? I last much longer when conditions are so very pleasant and calm. I can pay attention to a very odd looking boat - was it an inflatable? I asked Joe. We went closer and the young man, tattooed with fish, a commercial fisherman having loads of fun on his day off, beckoned us in to join the fun. He'd been there an hour already, and soon pulled up his second striper. He offered it to us (!) and would catch another for his landlord, he said. I said yes right away. Joe would have been reluctant, since he prizes that fish above all other - and wanted to catch his own. We enjoyed the rolling boil of fish and got 2 bluefish to put in the smoker. We lost a pole, snapped in the pole holder - had Joe fixed it with a wooden dowel? I might have been able to save it if I had felt more like a fisherman.
                                              The rope holds his 40 inch striped bass.

No comments: