Monday, October 28, 2013

Perfect?

I don't usually strive for perfect. I guess my mother thought we were perfect just as we were, except when fighting with each other.
My dance teacher is pickier than that! Tipple chasse to lockstep in Quickstep was a case in point yesterday.
First, he explained that in order to improve, students need criticism. I know he is not one to flatter in order to retain us. Leave that nonsense to the chain studios where the paying customer is always reminded of the ways she is doing well. It's a fine line for a teacher, especially a dance teacher, presenting a skill that has little relationship to the struggle to survive.
At least when I correct the high school students preparing for their high stakes test, the eventual reward directly affects their lives.

No comments: